Municipal City Council
“Using Allot solutions we can control the performance of business-critical applications and provide a better user experience for city residents on our website”
Relieve congested networks without further investment in bandwidth. Ensure reliable and predictable user experience for employees on the government LAN and citizens connecting to “Smart City” Internet services
Implement user-aware traffic management, fair use policy enforcement and URL filtering with an Allot multiservice platform and Allot SMP.
- Improve employee productivity
- Improve performance of mission-critical apps
- Increase user satisfaction with Smart City service
Allot Drives “Smart City” Services for City Employees and Residents
About Municipal City Council
Municipalities throughout Europe are gearing up to provide Internet-based services not only to government employees of the city, but to the citizenry as well. The City Council in this case provides network services to thousands of government employees. They also provide a City Council website where residents can access city services. Citizens are able to communicate with government offices and to take care of municipal matters online where they fill out and submit relevant forms and “paperwork.” The city has multiple government departments who use the network to conduct government business and provide services to city residents. Under this “smart city” concept the City Council’s IT Department supports network applications and protocols such as Oracle, email, HTTP, VoIP, video surveillance and collaborative business applications.
As the “smart city” concept caught on, the City Council found that its employees were experiencing poor response time from critical business applications due to congestion which slowed things down on the municipal network. They needed to find out what was causing the congestion and to implement a policy of fair use so each department would get good service at all times. In addition, the Council was responsible for conforming to regulations regarding access to blacklisted and inappropriate websites in the workplace.
This City Council chose Allot solutions for two main reasons: granular visibility and the ability to enforce traffic policy with the same level of granularity. An Allot bandwidth management device is installed in the network, before the City Council firewall and gateway router. This provides a bird’s-eye view of all network traffic. To enforce traffic policy on a per-user basis, Allot Subscriber Management Platform (SMP) is deployed to work in conjunction with the Council’s Active Directory infrastructure. This gives them the ability to control fair use and application delivery per employee and per department. Allot also provided the right DPI detection mechanisms and signature library to prioritize VoIP delivery when the network is congestion. Lastly, an Allot WebSafe license for URL filtering was activated on the bandwidth management device in order to block access to a specified list of URLs.
- Assign per-application priority to critical business applications via Allot’s advanced QoS policy editor. QoS policy was also used to ensure smooth delivery of latency-sensitive VoIP and Video by allocating minimum bandwidth to these applications and using the Allot multiservice platform to enforce the minimum under all network conditions.
- Implement fair use policy by assigning maximum bandwidth per user via Allot’s advanced policy editor. Per-user policy is enabled by seamless interoperability between Allot SMP and the Active Directory infrastructure. This allows the Council to manage fair use for LAN users as well as city residents who are connecting via the Internet.
- Restrict access to websites that could be harmful to business productivity or that have been blacklisted by government regulators. Keeping unwanted traffic off the network made more bandwidth available for business use. (using Allot ContentProtector)
The Allot solution deployment in the City Council’s network drives their “Smart City” initiative.
Allot products works seamlessly with the Council’s Active Directory infrastructure,
allowing them to control fair use and application delivery per employee and per department
Allot’s user-aware policy control, fair use traffic management and URL filtering solutions allowed the City Council to:
- Dramatically improve the performance of mission critical business applications.
- Improve the user experience by enforcing QoS policy per user and department requirements.
- Reduce network congestion and free up existing bandwidth.
- Manage non-business Internet browsing and improve productivity.
- Improve the performance of resident services on the Smart City website.
The City Council is so pleased with the results of their network optimization project, they are promoting the solution with other government bodies who can enjoy the same benefits they have experienced.